The GPR2C will be joining in at the 10th session of the World Urban Forum, which will take place from the 8th to the 13th of February in Abu Dhabi, UAE. The World Urban Forum (WUF) was established in 2001 by the United Nations to address rapid urbanization and its impact on communities, cities, economies, climate change and policies. The GPR2C and its members have successfully participated in several of the previous gatherings and consider the WUF an important forum to advocate for sustainable and inclusive urban development.
The theme of the Tenth Session is Cities of Opportunities: Connecting Culture and Innovation. The Summit will therefore focus on the linkages between urbanization, culture and innovation as a basis for inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable cities and human settlements. This topic is clearly connected to several of the components of the Right to the City.
The Global Platform for the Right to the City has successfully applied to organize two events during the WUF10:
- GPR2C Networking Event (NE33 – Hall 3) on Sunday February 9th, 4:30-6:30pm: Right to the city: connecting the sustainable development goals and the new urban agenda.
- GPR2C Training Event (Capital Suites First Floor Room CS4) on Monday February 10th, 9:00am-12:00pm: Using the right to the city to achieve cities with cultural diversity
GPR2C members are also organizing and/or participating in the following events:
• Assemblies (Business, Local-Regional Govts, Youth, Grassroots, and Women) on Saturday February 8th, 10:00am-6:00pm
• Habitat for Humanity: SDGs in Action, venue on SDG 11, date TBC
• Habitat for Humanity: LA/C urban housing practitioner’s hub.
• AURI: Networking Event (NE 47 – Hall 2, Room 7) on Monday February 10th, 2:00pm-4:00pm: Mobilizing local research for global agendas: connecting regional networks to encourage sustainable urban development across research and policy cultures in the global south.
• IOPD, UCLG: Networking Event (NE 77 – Hall 3, Room 17) on Monday February 10th, 4:30pm-6:30pm: Participatory practices and the right to the city at the core of urban innovation.
• Huairou Commission: Networking Event (NE 101 – Hall 2, Room 1) on Tuesday February 11th, 4:30pm-6:30pm: Urban Thinkers Campus (UTC) – a platform for partnerships & initiatives – a creative & innovative convergence space for stakeholders driving common vision of sustainable urban development
• CESAL: Networking Event (NE 139 – Hall 3, Room 19) on Wednesday February 12th, 2:00pm-4:00pm: Social participation methodologies in urban planning peri-urban experiences that contribute to the sustainable development of South-South cities.
• CJUR: Networking Event (NE 138 – Hall 3, Room 18) on Wednesday February 12th, 2:00pm-4:00pm: Network for a Latin American urban agreement: a new culture through urban legislation.
Are you planning to be in Abu Dhabi during WUF10? Are you organizing any events inside or outside WUF 10?
If yes, send us information to: email@example.com
Check this page regularly for more information on these events, the overall participation of the GPR2C at WUF 10 and other events.
You can also find more information at the event’s official webpage.