Every year, the Global Platform for the Right to the City (GPR2C) celebrates Urban October, an opportunity to raise our voices about our struggles and initiatives and to join forces for a better world. In 2021, Urban October will kick-off on Monday, 4 October with World Habitat Day and end on Sunday, 31 October with World Day for the Right to the City.
On this occasion, the GPR2C will launch a collective campaign to publish the thematic paper about the Right to the City and the COVID-19 pandemic, written by our consultant Eva Garcia Chueca, from CIDOB and supported by a Reference Group formed by different GPR2C members. More details will be shared soon.
Furthermore, as always, the GPR2C is joining and supporting all the GPR2C members and allies initiatives during Urban October under the right to the city umbrella. Here you will find a collection of them:
- World Habitat Day | General Assembly – Association Next Planning, Grenoble, France | 17:30h-19:45 CET
- Annual HLRN Report from the Violation Database on the Patterns of Housing and Land Rights Violations, Housing and Land Rights Network | More information soon
- Declaration on the Occasion of the 2021 World Habitat Day – Habitat International Coalition.
October 4th to 8th
- 5th Edition of the Global Social Economy Forum (GSEF), Mexico City, Mexico:
- October 5th: “RIPESS accelerates global advocacy work for the promotion of SSE as a key strategy for sustainable development in a post Covid-19 context”, event organized by RIPESS (More information soon)
- National March for the Right to Housing and The city – Brazilian Right to Housing Movements | More information soon
- 11th World Human Rights Cities Forum, Gwangju, South Korea:
- Oct. 6th: Regional Consultation on the Charter-Agenda for Human Rights in the City: Local Experiences and Perspectives on Human Rights, UCLG-CISDP
- Oct. 7th: ‘Human Rights Principles to “Build Forward Fairer”: From Local Policies to Collective Actions’, UCLG-CISDP
- Oct. 7th: Realizing the Right to the City for All: Local Governments Fighting Violences against Women, UCLG-CISDP, Seine-Saint-Denis Council
- Oct 9th. Exploring the Right to the City from the Perspectives of the Asia Region How to Face Climate Change and Covid-19; GPR2C
October 11th to 12th
- UCLG-CISDP is participating at the Fundamental Rights Forum in Vienna – 2021.
October 11th to 15th
- Innovate 4 Cities Forum, Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy (GCoM) and UN-Habitat | More information soon
- The Relevance of Brazil’s City Statute for Urban Transformation in Latin America, Cities Alliance, HIC-AL and the GPR2C | More information soon
- Presentation of the book “Feminismos en Alta Voz”, HIC-AL, CISCSA and the Women and Habitat Network | More information soon
October 20th to 22nd
- 20th Conference OIDP Sustainable cities / territories and participatory democracy in Abidjan (Ivory Coast), co-organized by UCLG.
October 25th to 29th
- The 7th Session of the intergovernmental working group on transnational corporations and other business enterprises with respect to human rights – Global Campaign for an UN Binding Treaty on Transnational Corporations and Human Rights
October 26th to 28th
- World Forum of Cities and Territories of Peace 2021, Mexico City.
- Advocacy event on the inclusion of the Right to Housing in the Constitution of Peru – CIDAP | More information soon
Campaigns from members & allies
- RIPPES + URGENCI Social Media Campaign on World Food Day (Oct. 16th) on SSE and the SDGs | More information soon
- Zero Evictions International Campaign – International Alliance of Inhabitants | More information soon
- Regional Campaign “Our Neighbourhoods, our rights, our cities” – HIC-AL + Members | More information soon
- The impact of Covid-19 on the Right to the City – Urban October Campaign by the Global Platform for the Right to the City
Let’s join forces to keep advancing the Right to the City for everyone, everywhere!