Every year, the Global Platform for the Right to the City (GPR2C) celebrates Urban October, an opportunity to raise our voices about our struggles and initiatives and to join forces for a better world. In 2021, Urban October will kick-off on Monday, 4 October with World Habitat Day and end on Sunday, 31 October with World Day for the Right to the City. On this occasion, the GPR2C will launch a collective campaign to publish the thematic paper about the Right to the City and the COVID-19 pandemic, written by our consultant Eva Garcia Chueca, from CIDOB and supported by a Reference Group formed by different GPR2C members. More details will be shared soon.
Check out the collective campaign that we have prepared on “The impact of Covid-19 on the Right to the City”!
Furthermore, as always, the GPR2C is joining and supporting all the GPR2C members and allies initiatives during Urban October under the right to the city umbrella. Here you will find a collection of them:
- “Hacia Ciudades Feministas”. A new podcast about Women’s Right to the City and the contributions of feminist urbanism to build fairer and more egalitarian territories | By CISCSA, from Córdoba, Argentina.
- Zero Evictions International Campaign | By the International Alliance of Inhabitants | More information soon
- Regional Campaign “Our Neighbourhoods, our rights, our cities” | By HIC-AL + Members | More information soon
- The impact of Covid-19 on the Right to the City – Urban October Campaign | By the Global Platform for the Right to the City.
October 4th (World Habitat Day)
- General Assembly | 17:30h-19:45 CET | Organized by Association Next Planning, Grénoble, France.
- Declaration on the Occasion of the 2021 World Habitat Day | By the Habitat International Coalition.
- Publication of the “Annual HLRN Report from the Violation Database on the Patterns of Housing and Land Rights Violations” | By the Housing and Land Rights Network – Habitat International Coalition (HLRN-HIC).
- Presentation of ALERTA, ALERTA! LA CIUDAD ES NUESTRA: A new campaign on sexist violence in public spaces | By CISCSA, from Córdoba, Argentina.
October 4th to 8th
- 5th Edition of the Global Social Economy Forum (GSEF) | Organized by the Mexico City Government, in Mexico City:
- Oct. 5th: “RIPESS accelerates global advocacy work for the promotion of SSE as a key strategy for sustainable development in a post Covid-19 context” | 4:30pm (UTC+8) | Organized by RIPESS.
- National March for the Right to Housing and The city – Brazilian Right to Housing Movements | 14h (UTC-3) | Supported by the União Nacional Por Moradia Popular.
- “A city for those who live in it: building the right to the city”, conversation with Raquel Rolnik and Mike Lydon | 18h (UTC+2) | Moderated by Observatori DESC.
- 11th World Human Rights Cities Forum in Gwangju, South Korea | Organized by Gwangju International Center, UCLG Committee on Human Rights & Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights:
- Oct. 6th: Regional Consultation on the Charter-Agenda for Human Rights in the City: Local Experiences and Perspectives on Human Rights | 12:00~14:00 CET | By UCLG-CISDP
- Oct. 7th: ‘Human Rights Principles to “Build Forward Fairer”: From Local Policies to Collective Actions’ | 13:00~15:00 CET | By UCLG-CISDP
- Oct. 7th: Realizing the Right to the City for All: Local Governments Fighting Violences against Women | 15:00~16:30 CET | By UCLG-CISDP, Seine-Saint-Denis Council
- Oct 9th: Exploring the Right to the City from the Perspectives of the Asia Region How to Face Climate Change and Covid-19 | 11:00~13:00 CET | By the GPR2C.
October 11th to 12th
- Fundamental Rights Forum in Vienna – 2021 | Organized by the EU Human Rights Agency.
- Oct. 12th. Implementing the HRBA in local policy | 13h-14h (UTC+2) | Organized by UCLG-CISDP and Barcelona City Council.
October 11th to 15th
- Innovate 4 Cities Forum | Organized by the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy (GCoM) and UN-Habitat:
- Oct. 15th: “The relevance of the Right to the City to face Climate Change, Global Warming, and #ClimateJustice from the local level and beyond” | 16-17:30 CET | Organized by the GPR2C | Register here
- “Climate Justice: institutional responses and significant experiences in Latin America” | 10 am (UTC-5) | Organized by Corporación Región.
- “Evidences and actions to transform the postcovid metropolis”: Roundtable on proposals for action to reimagine futures for the postcovid metropolis | 6 pm (UTC+2) | Organized by Observatori DESC.
October 16th (World Food Day)
- Launchment of a Social Media Campaign on SSE and the SDGs | Organized by RIPPES and URGENCI | More information soon
October 18th (dialogue series to be continued on November 4th and 17th, and December 1st)
- The Relevance of Brazil’s City Statute for Urban Transformation in Latin America, Cities Alliance | 16h (UTC-5) – check your local time | Organized by HIC-AL and the GPR2C. | More information about this cycle.
October 20th to 22nd
- 20th Conference OIDP Sustainable cities / territories and participatory democracy in Abidjan (Ivory Coast) | Co-organized by UCLG.
- Webinar “Land & Financing for Community-led Housing : learning from successful projects”. With Andrea Wieland, Mehr als Wohnen (Switzerland), Ander Zabala Gómez, Sostre Civic (Spain) & Marina Kolovou, Pan Thazin (Myanmar). | ▶ Zoom link – 16h CET 21h ICT (more time zones here) | Organised by CoHabitat Network & urbaMonde.
- Presentation of the book “Feminismos en Alta Voz: conversando y aprendiendo sobre experiencias de género y hábitat en América Latina.” | 17h (UTC-3) | Organized by HIC-AL, CISCSA, and the Women and Habitat Network. | On live here.
October 25th to 29th
- The 7th Session of the intergovernmental working group on transnational corporations and other business enterprises with respect to human rights | Organized by the Global Campaign for a UN Binding Treaty on Transnational Corporations and Human Rights
October 26th to 28th
- World Forum of Cities and Territories of Peace 2021, in Mexico City. | Organized by an International Organizing Committee of Mayors of the participating cities.
- Advocacy event on the inclusion of the Right to Housing in the Constitution of Peru (in Spanish) | 1:00 UTC+02 | Organized by CIDAP.
October 28th (on the occasion of the World Day for the Right to the City)
- Publication of the Collective Statement and the new Thematic Paper “The impact of Covid-19 on our Right to the City” | By the GPR2C together with all its members and allies in a collective effort.
October 31st (World Day for the Right to the City)
Let’s join forces to keep advancing the Right to the City for everyone, everywhere!