Every year, the Global Platform for the Right to the City (GPR2C) celebrates Urban October, an opportunity to raise our voices about our struggles and initiatives and to join forces for a better world. In 2022, Urban October will kick-off on Monday, 3 October with World Habitat Day and end on Monday, 31 October with World Day for the Right to the City, with the launching of our collective campaign “Reclaiming the Right to the City through Commoning”.
As highlighted during World Habitat Day, rising inequalities put an evident impediment to the realization of Human Rights and to achieving cities and human settlements that are just, diverse and can be fully enjoyed by all inhabitants. Tackling these inequalities should be at the top priority of all government agendas, based on a major revision of the current models that drive economic development, shifting from a logic that is based on maximising profits and commodification of key resources, towards models that drive commoning for the well-fare of the collective.
Thus, this World Day for the Right to the City, civil society organizations and local governments demand the commoning, as a paradigm shift and, as a stepping-stone for realizing the Right to the City.
Check out the collective campaign “Reclaiming the Right to the City through Commoning “!
Furthermore, as always, the GPR2C is joining and supporting all the GPR2C members and allies initiatives during Urban October under the Right to the City umbrella. Here you will find a collection of them:
- “10, 100, 1000 Human Rights Cities and Territories by 2030”. An international call to invite 100 pioneer cities and territories to commit to human rights through a unique global campaign.| By The UCLG Committee on Social Inclusion, Participatory Democracy and Human Rights (UCLG-CSIPDHR)
- Root political action for climate justice | Launching on October 3rd |A call to ensure that land rights are effectively protected as a fundamental component of social and environmental justice for all.| By the Habitat International Coalition (HIC)
- World CLT Day 2022. | October 28th and 29th | Celebration of the community land trust movement. The theme is « community matters » to acknowledge the importance of putting the « C » in CLT, and all the ways that CLTs engage with their local communities.
- October, it’s time for Peace with Zero Evictions! | By the International Alliance of Inhabitants – IAH
- Reclaiming the Right to the City through Commoning| October 31, World Day for the Right to the City | By the Global Platform for the Right to the City.
October 3rd (World Habitat Day)
- General Assembly | 18h-20h CET | Organized by Association Next Planning, Grénoble, France.
- Declaration on the Occasion of the 2022 World Habitat Day | By the Habitat International Coalition.
- Conferencia de prensa | 11:30 hs Uruguay | Coordinadora Nacional de Asentamientos
- Premiere of the video “The Right to Adequate Housing and the City” |Time to be confirmed | Cidap, Peru
- Mobilisation in the framework of the presentation of the draft National Law on Self-managed Social Production of Popular Habitat | 15:00 (GMT-5) | Colectivo del Hábitat Popular , Argentina
October 5 th
- The “Urban Dialogue for Territorial Peace” | 08:30 Colombia | Corporación Región
- Improving Housing Construction Practices for resilient and green communities | 8:00 h CR – 9:00 h MX/COL – 10:00 h Chile | Organized by the Urban Housing Practitioners Hub – UHPH
October 6th & 7th
- A Decade of the CFS VGGT: assessing progress and enhancing accountability | 17:30h-19:45 CET | Organized by the Inclusive Rural Transformation and Gender Equality Division
October 7th (World Metropolitan Day)
- World Metropolitan Day, a global campaign promoting collective action to build more equitable and prosperous metropolises | by Metropolis and UN-Habitat
Special Session [Right to the City] at the 12th World Human Rights Cities Forum | In this session, we will be exploring the framework of the Right to the City in the context of climate justice through the GPR2C thematic paper – “Right to the City: A Road for Climate Justice” | Co-organized by Kota Kita and GPR2C
- 50th Session of the Committee on World Food Security | Organized by the Committee on World Food Security
- UCLG 7th World Congress and Summit of Local and Regional Leaders | the GPR2C co-organizes the Global Commons Town Hall and other key sessions | Organized by UCLG
- Better Urban World | town hall meeting on bridge the growing inequality Gaps& Challenges in cities & human settlement, especially to re-examine the effect and the implication of the (3) CC which are (Covid-19), Climate Action and Conflict Mutilating issues as it affects human settlements. | Organized by IWCC Nigeria Organized
October 15th (International Day of Rural Women)
October 16th (Food sovereignty day)
- Fearless Cities | A global movement of activists, activists, organizations, councillors and mayors working to radicalize democracy, feminize politics and drive the transition to an economy that cares about people and the environment | Rosario, Argentina
- Social Production of Habitat: Challenging Practice seminar | special edition of the flagship Challenging Practice seminar, exploring how community-led design and planning can promote human development | By ASF-UK
- Comité Cities and Roofs of Cameroon Fair | October 27 and 28 | Diocésain des Activités Sociales et Caritatives – Cameroun
October 28th-29th (World CLT Day)
- Meeting on informal economy | Organized by the Laboratoire d’Innovation Sociale par la Recherche-Action
- World CLT Day 2022 Campaign | Organized by the Center for CLT Innovation
October 31st (World Day for the Right to the City)
- Reclaiming the Right to the City through Commoning| A call for the realizationrealisation of the Right to the City, through the implementation of commoning practices| By the Global Platform for the Right to the City.
Let’s join forces to keep advancing the Right to the City
for everyone, everywhere!